Sunday 14 September 2008

Tit for Tat. Jackal and Camel story.

One day a hungry jackal was wondering how to get to the other side of the river, where he could have plenty of crabs.

An idea struck him whe he saw a camel. He went to the camel and said, "I'm sure you like sugarcane, don't you ?" "Yes, I do," replied the camel. "There is a lot of sugarcane on the other side of the river," said the jackal. "I'd very much like to come along with you. The river is so deep that I shall be drowned if I walk through the water. Would you mind carrying me on your back?" "Not at all," said the camel. "I am grateful to you for the information. I am very pleased to have the opportunity of returning your kindness."

With the jackal on his back, the camel waded through the water. On reaching the bank, the jackal pointed out the sugarcane to the camel and proceeded to eat crabs.

After finishing his meal, the jackal found the camel still eating sugarcane. He grew impatient. He was seized with an impulse to play a trick on the camel. He ran round the fields howling. The villagers heard the howl and rushed out. They saw the camel in the sugarcane field and beat him with stick. The camel ran in panic and got into the river. The jackal at once jumped on his back.

While crossing the river back the camel asked, "Why did you play such a trick on me ?" The jackal replied, "I am used to howling after a good meal." "I am used to taking a bath after a good meal," the camel said and rolled in the river. The jackal was nearly drowned.

No comments: